[CMake] Linux In-the-source Build multiple modes without swithing

Jesper Eskilson jesper.eskilson at iar.se
Mon Jun 22 05:05:54 EDT 2009

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Charlie Sun wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm trying to do a linux  build with both release and debug mode. In
>> stead of builing out of source as indicated on the FAQ 4.15, I really
>> need to do in the source build. currently, if I do a release build and
>> then a debug build and then another release build. It will actually
>> rebuild the release and forgets the previous release build. Is it
>> because cmake is only generating one set of objective files when doing
>> in-the-source, either release or debug? Is there a way to have both?
>> Any help is greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Regards,
>
> The only way to do what you want is to use out of source builds.  Why do
> you have to do in-source builds?

I've wanted this as well, for other reasons:

- Be able to do "make {Debug|Release|...}".
- Be able to use the same infrastructure for running cmake both on Unix
and Windows. I currently have to maintain two different ways of running
cmake: one for single-config build directories, and another for
multiple-config build directories.
- Be able to build multiple configurations in parallel.

I'd also like a Makefile-generator which fokuses only on GNU make. I get
the feeling that much of the stuff which goes into the makefiles today
are there in order to maintain compatibility with things like Watcom and
Borland.

--
/Jesper