[CMake] CMakeCache changing due to PDB

Ashwin Chandra achandra at panologic.com
Fri Jul 31 16:00:17 EDT 2009

If I initiate a cmake build twice in a row (from clean state), the
second time it does re-linking of files all over again. I have traced
the problem and found that the build.make files in each project dir have
changed. The only changes are the case of the PDB file. For example:

"$(CXX_FLAGS) $(CXX_DEFINES) /TP
/FoCMakeFiles\CompressedTile_TestRunner.dir\CompressedTile_TestRunner.cp
p.obj /FdC:\trunk\Debug\wxp_x86\bin\compressedtile_testrunner.pdb -c
C:\trunk\Debug\wxp_x86\atto\common\CompressedTile_TestRunner.cpp"

Vs

"$(CXX_FLAGS) $(CXX_DEFINES) /TP
/FoCMakeFiles\CompressedTile_TestRunner.dir\CompressedTile_TestRunner.cp
p.obj /FdC:\trunk\Debug\wxp_x86\bin\CompressedTile_TestRunner.pdb -c
C:\trunk\Debug\wxp_x86\atto\common\CompressedTile_TestRunner.cpp"

Notice the pdb file changed in case. I think what is happening is that
the compiler is generating the pdb file in all lower case on the first
build run and when doing a second build run, it somehow knows the file
is in lowercase now and it updates the build.make files (which in turn
tells cmake and visual studio compiler to do the linking phase over
again).  Note that a third or more builds work fine (no relinking).

Is there anyway to have the build.make file always generate the pdb
section in lowercase? Where does it get the case of the file anyway?

Thanks!