[CMake] visual studio parallel build

Martin Apel martin.apel at simpack.de
Fri Jul 31 05:30:33 EDT 2009

j s wrote:
> I don't think so, but this article claims that by specifying multiple
> c++ files at the same time, the Visual C++ compiler will parallelize them:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/601970/how-do-i-utilise-all-the-cores-for-nmake
> <avk-blocked://stackoverflow.com/questions/601970/how-do-i-utilise-all-the-cores-for-nmake>
>
> Regards,
As nmake cannot perform parallel builds on its own, it would be nice, if
CMake could use the possibility of the cl compiler itself to compile
multiple files in parallel.
Qt's qmake does this by creating a temporary file containing a single cl
invocation with multiple names of source files to be built. Wouldn't it
be possible for the NMake generator to
perform something similar?

Regards,

Martin