[CMake] Shared libraries cannot be found after deploying a CPack package

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 16 09:39:31 EDT 2009

On 16.07.09 15:26:16, Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2009/7/16 Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> May be there is some equivalent on Windows platform too
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586(VS.85).aspx
> >> [just pointing the link, I'm really no windows expert and ....
> >> don't want to become one :-) ]
> >
> > Seriously, that platform is just plain broken if you ask me.
> > __declspec(dllimport), __declspec(dllexport)?! What were they thinking?
>
> Visibility control in shared libs may not be considered as evil,
> GCC even supports that feature:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility
>
> in particular you may read "2.2 Export Control" in
> http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

GCC visibility is only half of the broken system that Microsoft
invented. It only declares what symbols should be visible when linking
to the library, but msvc even forces the user of a library to explain to
the linker which symbols he wants to use (the dllimport stuff). Thats
plain broken, the linker should be able to figure that out himself - ld
does it.

Andreas

--
Your analyst has you mixed up with another patient.  Don't believe a
thing he tells you.