[CMake] Nonsensical errors returned when dlls needed for execute_process aren't found.

Tyler Roscoe tyler at cryptio.net
Tue Jul 14 12:18:10 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:50:48AM -0600, James Bigler wrote:
> I've filed a bug where execute_process returns a nonsensical error code
> (with no error message) when trying to run a program that can't find all the
> dlls it needs to run.
>
> http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=9258
>
> Has anyone else experience this?  It took me a lot of head scratching to

I think we saw something similar when getting our unit tests set up (I
think we had an even more pathological case where the unit test was
finding the wrong versions of the right DLLs). I agree that the
resulting problem is confusing and tricky to debug.

I'm not sure how much CMake can help, though. Isn't this more of a
weakness in Windows error reporting?

tyler