[CMake] Installing shared libs with symlinks

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Thu Jan 29 01:54:03 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Martin Apel <martin.apel at simpack.de> wrote:

> > This looks like a missing feature request and not a bug.  I would
> > request an option be added to GET_FILENAME_COMPONENT that follows
> > symbolic links recursively back to their source (CANONICALIZE
> > perhaps?).  In the meantime you can use the "readlink" program to do
> > this for you.
> Hi Philip,
>
> to me it looks more like a bug, because the documentation for
> GET_FILENAME_COMPONENT states, that for ABSOLUTE the file name is
> returned without symlinks.
> Anyway at least under Unix I could use readlink, but then I will have to
> do platform-dependant stuff here, which I tried to avoid.

For some reason, I drafted a reply to this message on January 13th and
forgot to send it.  I think I was going to confirm the bug at home and test
it but somehow the email got buried by other emails until tonight.

Anyways, thanks for filing the bug report.  I've confirmed the bug, traced
down the issue and posted a patch.

Also, on a tangential note I recently discovered that Microsoft Windows
(Vista or higher) now supports symbolic links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

FILE(CREATE_SYMLINK ... ) feature request here we come!

--
Philip Lowman