[CMake] INSTALL dependencies

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Wed Jan 28 20:58:56 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 28.01.09 23:58:26, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> > When I develop an application which uses Qwt5, Qt4 and OSG, it would
> > be convenient that a "nmake install" would install my application and
> > the Qwt5, Qt4 and OSG DLLs in the same directory (using RUNTIME
> > DESTINATION, LIBRARY DESTINATION, etc) without me having to INSTALL(
> > FILES ... ) or INSTALL( PROGRAMS ... ).
>
> Why install those at all, you already have them on your disk, just use the
> one from the external. Thats convenient (and uses a lot less disk space,
> looking at the list of libs you have).
>
> Personally I'm using simple cmd files that set my env up for a particular
> compiler+libraries I want to use (when I have to work with that OS) and
> then just build+run projects from that environment.

I can't speak for Pau, but we gave up a long time ago dealing with the
headaches of trying to maintain batch files which manipulate the PATH
environment variable.  We currently use INSTALL(FILES) to install all of our
DLL dependencies which makes it very easy to deploy the files to a network
share and try them out on a variety of systems (without having to worry
about an environmental issue causing something to work that otherwise
wouldn't).

--
Philip Lowman