[CMake] VS projects are rebuilt even if they don't change

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 06:09:21 EST 2009

2009/1/17 James Bigler <jamesbigler at gmail.com>:

> If the CMakeLists.txt files change but have no meaningful changes I expect
> CMake to reconfigure but not actually write new sln or vcproj files.

OK I think it's an interesting idea but...

> I can't verify that this is a new thing with this version of CMake, but I
> only recently noticed it and wanted to make sure the developers knew which
> version I was working with.

I don't think past CMake version ever support this kind of behavior.

Thus I would think it's more like a feature request than a bug.

For supporting this CMake would have to elaborate a way to figure out
what "no meaningful changes" in CMakeLists.txt means :=)

I would bet that it would only be possible for
"CMakeLists comment changes".

A possible solution would be for CMake to maintain SHA-1/MD5 sum
of each CMakeLists.txt, this sum would be built without comments.

I don't really know if the feature is worth the devel effort?
It's an open question, may be other on the list may express their opinion?

--
Erk