[CMake] VS projects are rebuilt even if they don't change

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 19:12:56 EST 2009

I started out with this CMakeLists.txt file:

project(rebuild)
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6 FATAL_ERROR)
add_executable(test test.cpp)

I then built and ran the project without problems.

I then added a comment to the file, and when I built from VS, CMake
reconfigured and the VS plugin asked if I wanted to reload 1 or more .sln or
.vcproj files.

It turns out it is the sln project file.

Shouldn't CMake be using copy_if_different for these sorts of things?  I
understand that it may want to regenerate the project and solution files if
you configure, but only actually changing those files when they differ would
prevent a lot of reloading for some of my projects that compute dependencies
dynamically.

I've noticed this more with the latest release candidate 2.6.3R8, using VS
2008 on WinXP64.

Thanks,
James