[CMake] cpack bundle generator qq

Timothy M. Shead tshead at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 16 12:50:27 EST 2009

Mike Arthur wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009 16:54:22 David Cole wrote:
>> What Clinton wants, though, is the ability to just put his make install
>> tree into the .dmg, not put it inside another bundle. His make install tree
>> contains a bundle already.
> I'd strongly argue that CMake already has too much duplication on this front.
> Either the MACOSX_BUNDLE property should be used for all CPack generators,
> none or removed completely and CPack used for generating bundles instead.
>
> It's exceptionally confusing for someone who comes to CMake having not used it
> for Mac packaging before to find three ways of doing it, all having slightly
> different features...

No argument here.  I am of the opinion that current MACOSX_BUNDLE
behavior is fatally-flawed - it is difficult to imagine distributing any
application that contains just an executable with no documentation,
data, or external dependencies, let-alone my use-case for multiple
executables.

On the other hand, I know that if your application doesn't have the
bundle structure, weird things happen when you run it from your build
directory.

Is it possible for CPack generator code to "know" that a file was built
with the MACOSX_BUNDLE property set, so that it could adjust its behavior?

Cheers,
Tim

--
Timothy M. Shead