[CMake] cpack bundle generator qq

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Fri Jan 16 11:01:55 EST 2009

Michael Jackson wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2009, at 10:06 AM, Mike Arthur wrote:
>
>> On Friday 16 January 2009 15:05:55 Clinton Stimpson wrote:
>>> Another question, can I have the bundle generator make another sub
>>> folder, then I put two .app bundles in there, then when the user opens
>>> the dmg, they see one folder they can drag to their /Applications which
>>> contains multiple .app's.  But there's still the problem of specifying
>>> different plist, icons, etc... from global variables instead of just
>>> using the ones I already set on the executables.
>>>
>>> Or does it not make sense to create installers like this?
>> I think it makes sense, personally, but the Bundle generator doesn't
>> support
>> it. If you wanted to do it that way I guess I'd add component support
>> (like
>> the PackageMaker/NSIS installers support) to the Bundle generator.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Mike Arthur
>> http://mikearthur.co.uk/
>
> You may end up having to create a shell script to create your
> distribution. Have CMake configure the shell script appropriately and
> then have CMake run the shell script to move everything into the
> proper location when CPack runs.

I've already done this, so when I do a "make install," I get all my
bundles with install names fixed, with prerequisites, etc...  It works
fine with CPack/PackageMaker generator which also makes the top level
folder to contain all the apps, so it installs nicely except for a root
ownership problem.  But it doesn't work with the CPack/Bundle generator
since it tries to re-bundle the bundles that I've already got.  I guess
I could take the last two easy steps, make the /Applications link and
the dmg myself.  Seems to me those two steps is all the cpack bundle
generator needs to be doing, and the rest of the work of creating the
bundle be done by the "make install" step.  No?  Maybe a new cpack/dmg
generator that just takes what make install gives, optionally adds a
softlink such as /Applications, and makes a dmg?

I was impressed that what I had done to make a nice NSIS installer also
worked just fine with PackageMaker.  I like that consistency.  I didn't
see that with the bundle generator.

Clint