[CMake] [New Module] FindGTK2.cmake call for testing

Philip Lowman philip at yhbt.com
Wed Jan 14 07:57:57 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Michael Jackson <
mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:

> Coming from a complete outsider is GTK like Qt in that GTK has a "Core"
> library then others built on top of that? If so you can default to looking
> for the "Core" library then use CMake variables such as "GTK_USE_MM" set to
> "TRUE" and find components that way. I think FindBoost does something like
> that also.
>
>  just my 2 cents. It is my hope that large libraries such as GTK, Qt, Boost
> and others could be written to the same "style" so that if I were used to
> using FindBoost, then I could easily use FindGTK in the same way and it
> would just work.

I made the choice to use Components because it really makes the design far
simpler to document as there are less variables. As far as I know Components
have been supported since at least 2.4.x and are present in a variety of
Modules now like FindBoost and FindMagick.

I believe I've covered 4 of the major use cases when utilizing GTK with my
module but I can obviously add more.

gtk
glade
gtkmm
glademm

GTK's architecture has several support libraries located underneath libgtk.
I believe "glib" which handles a lot of string processing and other
low-level stuff is the lowest library.  I've never heard of anyone using
these libraries without using GTK but that is a use case that could be
handled if there is demand for it (simply by adding more Components).  As
for your QT question I've never really used QT and am not that familiar with
it's architecture to make a good comparison.  In order to use GTK to render
you have to link several libraries, this may be different than QT.

--
Philip Lowman