[CMake] Pparallel build on multiple directories?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Jan 12 11:28:29 EST 2009

Alexandre Feblot wrote:
> Ugh!
>

> I'm using exactly the same (cmake 2.6.2, linux, unix makefiles), and run
> them with gmake 3.79.1.
>
> I also had this behaviour on Solaris 10 with dmake 7.7 (my solaris gmake
> 3.75 seems not to handle cmake makefiles in parallel at all).
>
> I had a try on AIX:
>
>  - gmake 3.71 seems not to handle cmake makefiles in parallel at all
>
>  - aix standard make run here in parallel between multiple directories
> *and* files but: The progress indicator is totally wrong (650%) and the
> process hangs during compilation.

gmake parallel makefiles should work.  However, it is possible to create
a project that will not work for various reasons.  These reasons involve
custom commands that generate the same files from different targets.  In
that case it is too much parallel building.  I am not aware of gmake not
working in parallel at all on any system.  Sounds more like a gmake
install problem.

-Bill