[CMake] open source project for CMake ports?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 16:19:55 EST 2009

2009/2/17 Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/2/17 Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>:
>>>
>>> But a http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/ type archive for CMake modules
>>> would also be a good idea.
>>
>> At FOSDEM we also discussed about something like this, some kind of
>> semi-official place where to get additional cmake files.
>> Right now you can look in several places, KDE being one of them.
>>
>> One idea was to actually ship those files as "unsupported" with cmake, but in
>> a directory which is not searched by cmake by default, so that if somebody
>> wants to use a file from this directory, he has to do something manually
>> (either copy the file somwhere or set CMAKE_MODULE_PATH) to use it.
>
> You may find conflict when trying to bundle the file.
> Since CMake CVS seems to be able to file(DOWNLOAD
> then only shipping convenient macros that is able to
> [conditionnally] and selectively download "unsupported" macros files would
> be "better" because:
>
> 1) CMake bundler won't have to choose which "unsupported" cmake macros
>    to bundle
>
> 2) One can get up-to-date "unsupported" macro without waiting for next CMake
>     release
>
> I would go for a macro whose signature may be
>

> get_additionnal_cmake_scripts(URL LOCALFILENAME FORCE_UPDATE)

Sorry too fast keyboard hit...

 which would may be usable like this:

 get_additionnal_cmake_scripts(http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeutils/cmake/modules/FindLibZip.cmake

${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake/FindLibZip.cmake
                                                              NO )

if FORCE_UPDATE is YES/TRUE then the module would be updated everytime
cmake is run.
The default would be not to update if the file is already there locally.

So then CMake may indicates a list of base url where "unsupported"
scripts may be found

cmake --help-unsupported-modules

--
Erk