[CMake] target_link_libraries: prefer static to dynamic

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Dec 30 12:02:09 EST 2009

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:51:29 +0100, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30. Dec, 2009, at 17:32 , Jed Brown wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:29:05 +0100, Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org> wrote:
> >> I'm using CMake 2.8.0 on Linux. Yes, Michael is right: I want it to
> >> happen automagically. That was the whole point of this thread :-)
> >
> > I would argue that FindXXX.cmake is the wrong place for the decision to
> > be made since I may want my project to link different targets
> > differently (as with pkg-config's --static option).
> >
> > Jed
>
> That would be a rather unusual choice (IMHO). What would be your
> preferred way of doing this with CMake?

I realize it is much different than how CMake currently operates (where
libraries are a lower-level concept than in e.g. pkg-config), but I
don't believe it's a strange thing to want a project to link different
targets differently.

Jed