[CMake] ExternalProject() Question

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Thu Dec 17 11:43:50 EST 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 11:34 AM, David Cole wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 17. Dec, 2009, at 15:01 , David Cole wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> question that I have after reading through the Oct 09 "Kitware
> Source" is
> >> this. If I do a "make clean" or "rebuild" are all the
> "ExternalProjects"
> >> also cleaned/rebuilt? I could make an argument both ways but I
> was curious
> >> what the default was?

> >> Eventually). Writing directions to get everything downloaded and
> built is
> >> getting to be a pain. Would be simpler to have all that done for
> the user.

> >> "make clean" behaves a bit strange for me... It seems to remove
> some of the
> >> stamp files, but does not actually perform a "clean" on the
> external
> >> project, or wipe the extracted sources. For me, this is a bit of
> a problem,
> >> since the PATCH_COMMAND will try to re-apply a patch, which of
> course will
> >> fail. Not sure how to teach CMake to not re-patch a source
> tree... Perhaps
> >> wrap the whole thing in a apply_patch.cmake script which creates
> its own
> >> stamp in the external source tree and only applies the patch if
> that stamp
> >> does not exist...
> >>

> > Michael Wild's observations are correct. The "make clean" of the
> outer
> > project is going to wipe all the stamp files causing all of the
> steps to
> > re-run again, including downloads and checkouts.
> >
> > Since the patch command is empty by default and 'patch' is not
> readily
> > available on Windows, the patching stuff is less well tested than
> the rest
> > of the steps.
> >
> > I guess I would be inclined to say that an outer/main-project
> "make clean"
> > ought to default to cleaning the inner/nested/external projects as
> well...
> > but it's not clear to me that there's a reasonable way to
> implement that
> > quickly and easily. It's certainly worthy of a feature request and
> some
> > discussion. And whatever the default behavior is, it should
> probably be
> > controllable by one or more new arguments to the ExternalProject_Add
> > function.
> >
> > Let me know if you have further ideas and suggestions.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > David Cole
>

> Also, should a "make clean" really trigger a re-download? What I
> would like to have is a MD5SUM option to ExternalProject_Add.
> [...]

My thinking was this would be something like a "package" or "port"
type call. I am describing in my CMakeLists.txt that my project needs
"tiff" and to download it and compile it first before proceeding with
the compile of my own project. In this case I am not really working on
tiff, it is stable, so there is no point in recompiling it again. But
there are cases where someone may be working on libTiff in conjunction
with their project and would therefor need it cleaned/Recompiled. I
guess you would get to the point where each step has a "YES/NO"
property for each type of build action. Do you want source code
cleaned? Do you want source code downloaded? ...

    Maybe I should just take the "other road" and bundle my versions
of Tiff, Expat, HDF5, Boost inside of my project. Then it is one giant
self contained project which for the "end user" is easy to compile.
One Download, Once configure/compile. But when _I_ am working on it,
every time I "clean" my project I have to rebuild EVERYTHING. Which
sucks on slower computers. ParaView is this way and you really have to
think twice before hitting that "clean" or "rebuild" button. Just
saying..

Mike Jackson