[CMake] Submitting build and test results to dashboard separately

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Dec 16 10:12:52 EST 2009

I am setting up a ParaView dashboard for a cluster in which I have to compile on one computer and then submit a job to run parallel tests on another computer. This means I have to run one dashboard script to update and build the code.  At the end of this script I submit a parallel job to run the tests.  The problem I am having is that I cannot seem to submit the results to the dashboard in such a way that I get both the build and test information on the same entry.

My current configuration is as follows.  To update, configure, and build the latest version I have a CTest script like the following:

-Setup CMake variables-

# Clear out binary directory and set defaults.
CTEST_EMPTY_BINARY_DIRECTORY(${CTEST_BINARY_DIRECTORY})
FILE(WRITE "${CTEST_BINARY_DIRECTORY}/CMakeCache.txt" "${CTEST_INITIAL_CACHE}")
FILE(MAKE_DIRECTORY "${CTEST_BINARY_DIRECTORY}/Testing/Notes")

CTEST_START(${CTEST_BUILD_MODE})
FOREACH(update_dir ${CTEST_EXTRA_UPDATE_DIRECTORIES} ${CTEST_SOURCE_DIRECTORY})
  CTEST_UPDATE(SOURCE ${update_dir})
ENDFOREACH(update_dir)
CTEST_CONFIGURE(BUILD "${CTEST_BINARY_DIRECTORY}")
CTEST_READ_CUSTOM_FILES("${CTEST_BINARY_DIRECTORY}") # Reads CTestCustom.ctest files
CTEST_BUILD(BUILD "${CTEST_BINARY_DIRECTORY}")
CTEST_SUBMIT()

-Submit parallel test job-

When the parallel test job runs, it executes this script.

-Setup CMake variables-

CTEST_START(${CTEST_BUILD_MODE})
CTEST_TEST(BUILD "${CTEST_BINARY_DIRECTORY}")
CTEST_SUBMIT()

I am sure that the CMake variables are setup the same in both the build and test scripts; I am actually using the same script to setup both.

Now here is the problem: each of the CTEST_SUBMIT()  create their own entry in the dashboard.  The first one creates one that reports on the build but is missing the test information.  The second one has the results of the test but has bogus information for the build.  Does anyone know how to get the the second submit to simply add the test information to the existing build information?  I tried simply removing the CTEST_START command from the test script, but in that case the submission fails outright.  I get output like the following:

Test project /home/kmorel/dashboard/builds/ParaView3Experimental
Cannot create directory /Testing/Temporary
Cannot create log file: LastTest.log
    Start 1: QVTK-TestQtInitialization
1/1 Test #1: QVTK-TestQtInitialization ........   Passed    9.38 sec

100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 1

Total Test time (real) =  11.53 sec
Cannot create directory /Testing
Cannot open notes file
   Use HTTP Proxy: wwwproxy.sandia.gov:80
Cannot create directory /Testing/Temporary
Cannot create log file: LastSubmit.log
Submit files (using http)
   Using HTTP submit method
   Drop site:http://
   Submission successful
Error in read script: /home/kmorel/dashboard/scripts/ParaView3Experimental.cmake

Any ideas?

-Ken

   ****      Kenneth Moreland
    ***      Sandia National Laboratories