[CMake] cmake -E create_symlink for Windows

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Sat Dec 12 09:44:08 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Michael Wild <themiwi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bummer. What where they THINKING??? (if at all...). It seems to me that M$
> just CAN'T get it right. No matter how many times they try, how many good
> examples are out there, they always manage to seriously screw something
> up... Come to think of it, they probably were thinking about
> symlink-attacks...

Come on. Let's make a deal: you don't bash Microsoft, Apple or Google here
on the CMake mailing list and I won't bash Unix or Linux in any forum,
anywhere, ever. OK? Does that sound cool?

The fact is that Microsoft introduced "shortcuts" in Windows 95 and Apple
had "aliases" on Mac OS even before that... and they are both conceptually
equivalent to "symlinks."

symlinks are a *convenience* feature... but they are not supported
everywhere universally. So write the code that uses them if they are there,
but has an alternate strategy if they're not available. But don't blame
Microsoft...

Maybe you should ask yourself why you're even bothering to write software
for Windows if it's so bad.

:-)
David