[CMake] Framework Installation Directory / Framework copying

Glenn Hughes ghughes02138 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 17:11:41 EST 2009

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with how to copy a built framework
into the application bundle?

In Xcode we set the Installation Directory of the Framework to
@executable_path/../Frameworks/, then as a post-link phase of building
the app we run a python script to copy the built framework into the
application bundle.
I can set up the dependency between my app target and my framework
target, and if I leave everything alone the app even runs.
However, if  I move the framework into the app bundle by hand, it
won't launch because it can't find the framework. This is because the
Installation Directory is being set to the BINARY_DIR location.

If I by hand fix the Xcode project's Installation Directory to
@executable_path/../Frameworks/ and rebuild, (and move it to the
correct location by hand) everything works. (So, I know my suspicions
about what needs to be done are correct).

So, does anyone know how to set a Framework's Installation Directory
parameter via CMake?

Part of my problem in researching this problem is that "Installation
Directory" is an overloaded term in the CMake lexicon. I'm talking
about the OS X Framework attribute here, not the CPack or Squish
variables.

Also, any idea about the best way to do the Framework copy? I could
probably just re-use our python script, but maybe there's a cleaner
CMake way of doing something like this...

Thanks in advance...
Glenn