[CMake] Building CMake on Windows

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Dec 8 09:09:42 EST 2009

steve naroff wrote:
> The 'Readme.txt' for the Windows source distribution says:
>
> "You need to download and install a binary release of CMake in order to
> build CMake."
>
> Unlike UNIX/Mac, the Windows source can't be bootstrapped...
>
> I assume the Readme.txt is accurate? Any plans to change this?

No plans to change this.  I just can not see a use case where it would
make it worth while to maintain a bootstrap build file for CMake.  You
can always bootstrap CMake from a previous version, and we even create
nightly binaries.  If I was to do some sort of bootstrap, I would just
include some version of the cmake binary with the CMake source.  In the
far distant past we had an nmake file, but that was 8 or so years ago...
I don't see it coming back again... :)

-Bill