[CMake] Idea - Modules development and management

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 16:10:37 EST 2009

2009/12/7 Michael Jackson <mike.jackson at bluequartz.net>:

> Just thinking out loud .. What if CMake had a "built-in" facility to check a
> common internet location for new/updated modules like a lot of programs do
> now-and-days. This (in my mind) would allow for the deployment of "Official"
> CMake modules (or at least those signed off by kitware) to be updated at a
> more rapid pace than CMake itself.

The question is, would you update CMake itself or would you do it on
a per-project basis? In the first case this is the administrator job
whereas in the second case the "project admin" may chose to "cache"
updated CMake module (official or unofficial) in its project source tree.

> The first iteration could just be a
> "check a website" type of deal. The next iteration would be something akin
> to a scheduled update type of thing. Again, some one would have to find the
> time to implement such a feature, plus setup the infrastructure internet
> stuff and all that, but might be very worthwhile in the long run.

I recover a past thread with similar discussion:
see for example
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2009-February/027087.html
and
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2009-February/027145.html