[CMake] Copying cmake generated files to another machine

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Dec 7 01:10:15 EST 2009

Hello Steve and Eric.

Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>
writes:

> 2009/12/6 steve naroff <snaroff at apple.com>:
>>>
>>> May be we can think of "packaging" CMake itself along with the build tree?
>>
>> Packaging the binaries isn't considered acceptable (we need a "pure" source
>> distribution with no binary files).
>
> Sorry for being picky but you don't "require a pure source".
>
> You want to have the file used by your target
> build system (Makefile or any other "project file") to be shipped with
> your source tree.

In the past, LLVM/clang had a manually crafted Visual Studio project
file. That worked fine for the purposes of the OP. It was "pure source"
because you obtained it directly from the svn repository along the
project source code and it was ready to build with VS, no intermediate
steps required. The VS project file was removed and this is causing
problems to the OP, because the "pure source" requirement is imposed
upon him by somebody else.

[snip]

>> A spin on your idea is to package the CMake source itself (and build
>> it from scratch, prior to building llvm/clang). Unfortunately, this
>> approach is quite "heavy" (but may be the cleanest given the
>> constraints).

For "the others" this would require:

1. build cmake.
2. invoke cmake for configuring LLVM/clang.
3. invoke VS for building the LLVM/clang.

You can solve 1&2 with a .bat file. With cmake 2.8, you can build LLVM
from the .bat file too (with the new "cmake --build" feature, IIRC), but
I guess that "them" are having too much fun building LLVM with the VS
IDE :-)

> I see. Personnally I have another point of view regarding this.  Once
> I decided to go for a CMake build system for my project, I consider
> CMake to be part of the compiler suite.
>
> If I require a compiler to be installed for compiling the source of my
> project I do require CMake to be installed too.

That is very sensible but, unfortunately, the OP can't do much about it.

[snip]

--
Óscar