[CMake] continuous integration with CMake

Tyler Roscoe tyler at cryptio.net
Fri Dec 4 12:40:00 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:09:09PM -0500, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Right now we just don't do that.  However, we do have continuous builds
> running on systems that wait for anything to be checked into the version
> control system.   Then they do a build and test.   But, we have no way
> to ask for a specific build.   So, as soon as developers check in code
> there should be a debug build of it on as many machines as you have
> running continuous builds.  So, no need to request the build it just
> happens.

Right. This is one of the many joys of continuous integration.

The point I'm driving at, though, is that testers and developers have
this funny way of always coming up with some combination of product and
platform that you hadn't considered :). Or sometimes, there simply
aren't enough machines on the net/hours in the day to handle all the
possible permutations.

Either way, there's always some need for mucking with the continuous
builds so I need a tool that can handle that gracefully.

> All this said, we are working on, and are very close to adding a build
> management tool to CDash.  It is working internally at Kitware now, and
> we are pushing to get it out soon.  If you want to be a beta tester let
> me know.. :)

Sure, I can be a beta tester. If you can get me something to look at
soon that would be great since I have some cycles to dedicate to
research right now.

Also, sorry to bug you about this again, but is there some way I can
take a look at your setup scripts? Maybe you can send them to me
off-list if you have internal hostnames or whatever that you don't want
to publish.

Thanks,
tyler