[CMake] Source file symlinks on out-of-source builds

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Thu Dec 3 15:35:41 EST 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:

> I'm interested to know how they manage this. But even with if you run
> make with -C to change to the build directory, the executable would be
> generated there. This feels awkward when you are used to in-source
> builds. Inside vi I usually do ":make" then ":!./progname".

So, eclipse is this way. It wants to look for the makefiles in the
Source directory. As a matter of consistency I ALWAYS name my build
directories "Build". So in Eclipse I have the following:

cmake -C ${workspace_loc}/${project_name}/Build -j 16 VERBOSE=1

And the executables (as setup in the Cmake files) are always built
into Build/Bin.

so I guess you could do
":make -C Build"
":!./Build/Bin/progname"