[CMake] cmake on the BGP

John R. Cary cary at txcorp.com
Thu Aug 20 09:32:42 EDT 2009

Brad King wrote:
> John R. Cary wrote:
>
>> I am trying to build cmake on a Blue Gene P.
>> Configuration starts with
>>

>> login1.surveyor$ ./bootstrap
>> CMake 2.6-4, Copyright (c) 2007 Kitware, Inc., Insight Consortium
>>
> [snip]
>
>> http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2006-January/007917.html
>>
>> "It should be very easy to add support to CMake.
>>
>> You would have to create a Linux-xlc.cmake file that will
>> go in the Platforms directory of cmake.   It would set all
>> the correct flags for the compiler.  If you want, I can help
>> you create one, and I will add it to cmake."
>>
>> Was this ever done?  Can I help with getting it done?
>>

> I think it was done, at least partly.
>
> Please try CMake from CVS HEAD:
>
>   cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at www.cmake.org:/cvsroot/CMake co CMake
>
> If that doesn't work out of the box I'll be happy to help you
> contribute support.

Great!  I now have the cvs checkout.

Error below indicates that it finds cc instead of xlc, which I can fix
on the configure
line via

env CC=xlc_r CXX=xlC_r

but then it still fails at the same place.

Thx.....John Cary

cc -I/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/Source
-I/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/Bootstrap.cmk
-DKWSYS_NAMESPACE=cmsys  -c
/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/Source/kwsys/System.c -o
System.o
xlC  -I/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/Source
-I/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/Bootstrap.cmk  cmake.o
cmakemain.o cmakewizard.o cmCommandArgumentLexer.o
cmCommandArgumentParser.o cmCommandArgumentParserHelper.o
cmDefinitions.o cmDepends.o cmDependsC.o cmDocumentationFormatter.o
cmDocumentationFormatterText.o cmPolicies.o cmProperty.o cmPropertyMap.o
cmPropertyDefinition.o cmPropertyDefinitionMap.o cmMakeDepend.o
cmMakefile.o cmExportFileGenerator.o cmExportInstallFileGenerator.o
cmInstallDirectoryGenerator.o cmGeneratedFileStream.o
cmGeneratorExpression.o cmGlobalGenerator.o cmLocalGenerator.o
cmInstallGenerator.o cmInstallExportGenerator.o
cmInstallFilesGenerator.o cmInstallScriptGenerator.o
cmInstallTargetGenerator.o cmScriptGenerator.o cmSourceFile.o
cmSourceFileLocation.o cmSystemTools.o cmTestGenerator.o cmVersion.o
cmFileTimeComparison.o cmGlobalUnixMakefileGenerator3.o
cmLocalUnixMakefileGenerator3.o cmMakefileExecutableTargetGenerator.o
cmMakefileLibraryTargetGenerator.o cmMakefileTargetGenerator.o
cmMakefileUtilityTargetGenerator.o cmBootstrapCommands.o cmCommands.o
cmTarget.o cmTest.o cmCustomCommand.o cmDocumentVariables.o
cmCacheManager.o cmListFileCache.o cmComputeLinkDepends.o
cmComputeLinkInformation.o cmOrderDirectories.o cmComputeTargetDepends.o
cmComputeComponentGraph.o cmExprLexer.o cmExprParser.o
cmExprParserHelper.o cmListFileLexer.o Directory.o Glob.o
RegularExpression.o SystemTools.o ProcessUNIX.o String.o System.o -o cmake
/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/Bootstrap.cmk/InitialCacheFlags.cmake
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is XL
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler:
/gpfs/software/linux-sles10-ppc64/apps/ibmcmp-sep2008/opt/vacpp/bg/9.0/bin/xlC
-- Check for working CXX compiler:
/gpfs/software/linux-sles10-ppc64/apps/ibmcmp-sep2008/opt/vacpp/bg/9.0/bin/xlC
-- broken
CMake Error at Modules/CMakeTestCXXCompiler.cmake:30 (MESSAGE):
  The C++ compiler

"/gpfs/software/linux-sles10-ppc64/apps/ibmcmp-sep2008/opt/vacpp/bg/9.0/bin/xlC"
  is not able to compile a simple test program.

  It fails with the following output:

   Change Dir:
/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

  Run Build Command:/usr/bin/gmake "cmTryCompileExec/fast"

  gmake -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build.make
  CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/build

  gmake[1]: Entering directory
  `/gpfs/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

  /home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/Bootstrap.cmk/cmake -E
  cmake_progress_report

/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles
  1

  Building CXX object CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o

/gpfs/software/linux-sles10-ppc64/apps/ibmcmp-sep2008/opt/vacpp/bg/9.0/bin/xlC
  -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o -c

/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCXXCompiler.cxx

  Linking CXX executable cmTryCompileExec

  /home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/Bootstrap.cmk/cmake -E
  cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/link.txt --verbose=1

/gpfs/software/linux-sles10-ppc64/apps/ibmcmp-sep2008/opt/vacpp/bg/9.0/bin/xlC
  -fPIC CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec.dir/testCXXCompiler.cxx.o -o
  cmTryCompileExec -rdynamic

/gpfs/software/linux-sles10-ppc64/apps/ibmcmp-sep2008/opt/vacpp/bg/9.0/bin/xlC:
  1501-216 (W) command option -fPIC is not recognized - passed to ld

/gpfs/software/linux-sles10-ppc64/apps/ibmcmp-sep2008/opt/vacpp/bg/9.0/bin/xlC:
  1501-216 (W) command option -dynamic is not recognized - passed to ld

  /usr/bin/ld: unrecognized option '-dynamic'

  /usr/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information

  gmake[1]: Leaving directory
  `/gpfs/home/cary/projects/facetspkgs-surveyor/CMake/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

  gmake[1]: *** [cmTryCompileExec] Error 1

  gmake: *** [cmTryCompileExec/fast] Error 2

  CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:2 (PROJECT)

--
Tech-X Corp., 5621 Arapahoe Ave, Suite A, Boulder CO 80303
cary at txcorp.com, p 303-448-0727, f 303-448-7756, NEW CELL 303-881-8572