[CMake] CMake Python support

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Wed Aug 19 04:02:36 EDT 2009

Zitat von Marcel Loose <loose at astron.nl>:
> Would it be worthwhile to add Python as a valid language to the
> project() method? Or is it better to use the currently available
> FindPython-like scripts.
>
> My reason for asking is that oftentimes you'd like to byte-compile
> Python source and install these byte-compiled files along with the
> Python sources. If Python were a fully supported programming language,
> then you could write the CMakeLists.txt files more or less the same way
> as for other languages (e.g., like Java).
>
> It's just a thought, and maybe I'm overlooking all kinds of potential
> pitfalls.

Citing from http://effbot.org/zone/python-compile.htm:
Python?s byte code is portable between platforms, but not necessarily
between Python releases.

Unless your python module is for only one specific version or you know
the python interpreter version on all installation targets, you better
leave it up to the installer to compile the module (the page shows
trivial code in python to do this).

Something different would be to get complete application binaries.
However, that somehow defeats one purpose of using Python.

HS