[CMake] Linking against OS X Frameworks

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Aug 10 09:47:40 EDT 2009

On 8/9/09 9:59 AM, ML said:

>CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:70 (message):
>   MoreFilesX requires the SDK version to be not newer than 10.4u (10.6
>   detected)

I have a recollection of that being true, but it's easy to change
MoreFiles to build with the new headers.  I have an old project that
uses the 10.5 SDK and the MoreFilesX code and it works fine.

>What is the command to force 32-bit carbon as now that I set 10.4 as
>my SDK and I am running on a 64 -bit machine I am getting errors like:
>
>In file included from /Volumes/Data/jtsm/Checkout/Universal GUI/source/
>thirdparty/OSX/MoreFilesX/MoreFilesX.c:80:
>/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/
>Carbon.framework/Headers/Carbon.h:20:6: error: #error 64-bit not
>supported

The 10.4 SDK does not support 64 bit development.  If you want to build
as 64 bit, you need to use the 10.5 SDK.

>I wish Apple had decided to support 64-bit Carbon, but that is another
>thread all together.

Much of Carbon is available in 64 bit, but definitely not all.
MoreFilesX is largely obsolete and deprecated.  I suspect many of the
APIs it uses are unavailable in 64 bit.  Also, much of what MoreFiles
provided is now part of the file manager.  In fact, I think that's the
problem with the 10.4 SDK... one MoreFiles function became part of
Carbon's Files.h.

I'm curious why you want to use MoreFileX in a modern 64 bit app.  What
does it provide that is still helpful?

Lastly, discussion of 10.6 is verboten; discussing it violates your NDA.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com