[CMake] Setting up a PGO sequence

night owl03d nightowl03d at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 15:42:49 EDT 2009

I am trying to figure out the best way to set up CMake to do release builds with profile guided optimization for gcc and msvc.

The general sequence I want to perform is...

1. Build with instrumentation.
2. Run training apps.
3. rebuild with pgo. (In gcc this is a clobber build, and in msvc it is just a relink).

My best guess is that I want to do the build, configure ctest to run my training apps, and then redo the build. Well 1 and 2 is easy, but I am trying to figure out how to arrange for 3 to be fired off without manual intervention. I am sure there is an easy way to do it, but I am brain farting on it right now.

I have used scons to do this sort of thing before, but I can't figure out how to make it work with cmake.