[CMake] using a generator with unknown output

dirk.bonekaemper at dfs.de dirk.bonekaemper at dfs.de
Thu Sep 18 09:26:45 EDT 2008

Hi y'all,

I'm a rather new cmake user and I've got a hen & egg problem:

My generator takes an inputfile and a directory,  it creates output files
in
that directory. Number and names of generated files depend on the
contents of the inputfile. However, it also generates a file with a known
name that contains the names of all generated files.
The generated files must be compiled to a library, which will be linked
into an executable.

Unfortunately, depency generation and <add_custom_command> need to
know the exact filenames in advance ...

So finally my question: As I already know when to regenerate
(inputfile newer than filelist), is there a way to trigger a new
dependency calculation followed by the build of the library?

I'm using Makefiles on Unix. By looking into the generated Makefiles
it seems that --check-build-system might be involved. But that's an
undocumented options, so I hesitate to even start playing around with
it.

I would be greatful for some advice.

Thx, Dirk