[CMake] Random BAD_COMMAND error when running CTest

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Oct 17 22:09:23 EDT 2008

On 2008-10-17 20:27-0400 Ian Mackenzie wrote:

> I'm getting a strange, random error when running CTest...I've searched
> all over and haven't been able to find anybody else with the same
> problem.

> [...]Each individual test executable runs fine, and none of them include
> any randomness (e.g. generating random numbers as inputs to tests,
> which could conceivably cause some weird erratic crashes).  I'm using
> CMake 2.6.2 on Arch Linux i686.  Any ideas what might be wrong, or
> where I should look for clues?  Thanks!

One potential source of randomness is failing or iffy hardware.

Have you kept track of such things as systematic changes in system
temperature under the same load conditions? I must clean out the dust from
one of my boxes every 6 months or I see dramatically increasing temperatures
(like 10 C) under heavy system load.  The other box has much better air flow
design so the the problem isn't as critical there.

Have you tried running memtest?

What happens if you try running your ctests on an entirely different
machine?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).