[CMake] Stand alone Visual Studio Solution

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Oct 13 08:58:15 EDT 2008

Jesper Eskilson wrote:
> Eran Burstain wrote:
>> Hi !
>> We want to begin working with CMake in a large project, but we want to
>> have a regular Visual's sln-vcproj projects in the source control, for
>> users that cannot use CMake.
>> Can we activate CMake and force in to create all paths relative ?
>
> This is a good starting point:
>
>     set(CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS 1)
>
> however, some absolute paths still seem appear in the solution files.
> I'm not sure if that is an issue with my CMakeLists.txt, though.
>
>> Can we create a solution file without the BUILD_ALL, ZERO_TEST
>> project, and without CMake's-VIsual Studio macros (file change
>> detection) ?
>
> AFAIK, no. But you're not alone in wishing for this.

You can try this:
set(CMAKE_SUPPRESS_REGENERATION 1)

However, CMake does not and will not "support" the generation of free
standing projects or makefiles.  For example ZERO_TEST is used to handle
dependency stuff that can not be done from VS IDE.  We assume CMake is
is installed and use it to get around bugs in IDE's and native build
tools.  Also, the configure, then build approach of CMake means that the
results of the configure or system introspection phase are not valid on
a different machine.

-Bill