[CMake] Invoking "make" with CMake scripts?

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 19:42:27 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Mike Arthur <mike at mikearthur.co.uk> wrote:

> The typical way this is handled in both CMake and generally is that you
> rely
> on the builder of your sourcecode to have the dependencies already
> installed
> and then use Find* modules to determine if the libraries are installed and
> either block the build or adjust the options depending on what the user has
> installed. Having your build system build the other libraries or (even
> worse)
> having copies of them in your source tree is not a good idea as you need to
> keep up to date with their buildsystem and also apply any security fixes or
> whatever to your local version of the application.

I generally like keeping libraries in version control because it makes it
convenient to start working from a fresh checkout. This is really only an
issue with Windows, since most linux distributions have a package management
system that makes it trivial to install third party library dependencies. On
Windows, it's quite a pain to visit various websites and downloads the
limitless number of dependencies. If you flatten the dependency tree, you'll
probably end up downloading 10 or more different libraries, each of which is
pretty difficult to build on Windows. A developer on windows could be
looking at a couple of hours before the project is ready to compile. Am I
looking at this the wrong way, or is this just the reality all Windows
developers have to face?

Thanks again for all the help guys.