[CMake] a couple of ideas for cmake

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Fri Nov 7 12:03:39 EST 2008

Christopher Harvey wrote:
> Hi cmake maintainers,
> I'm wondering if there was a reason why the windows configure interface
> outputs message commands as individual dialogs instead of inside some
> sort of in-program terminal (that the user wouldn't be able to type
> into). It seems to me that it would make the cmake experience more
> consistent across configures.

Try the new qt based cmake-gui, it does not do that.

> I could *try* to write a patch that does this...but I wanted to see if
> there was interest in it at all first.

The CMakeSetup will be deprecated in the next release, so no need to fix it.
> The second idea is to have an internal cmake variable that is a list of
> directories that cmake modules could use to look for libraries and
> include files. I'm starting to notice that every single FindXXX.cmake
> uses commands like:
>
> Why not define these paths internally and turn these long commands into :
>

> FIND_PATH(SDL_INCLUDE_DIR SDL.h
>   HINTS
>   $ENV{SDLDIR}
>   PATH_SUFFIXES include
>   PATHS
>   ${CMAKE_COMMON_INCLUDE_PATHS}
> )

That sounds good.  A lot of the modules need a bit of work....  Ideally
you should not have to list many PATHS at all.  CMake does look in some
common places automatically.   Many of the Find modules have not been
update to reflect those changes that were made to cmake.

-Bill