[CMake] What does `cross-platform' mean?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Nov 7 05:28:58 EST 2008

On 07.11.08 11:19:24, Jed Brown wrote:
> My previous messages to this list, describing many forms of brokenness
> in such environments, have gotten few responses (thanks Alexander, Bill,
> Csaba) while everyone weighs in on the bike shed.  If it's not a
> priority, then CMake is little more than color Make with inferred
> source-dependencies.  Sure, maybe everything Just Works on vanilla
> Debian/Ubuntu/Redhat, but if it doesn't offer a better experience on
> say, Cray XT5, than a plain Makefile, it's hard for me to sell users on
> CMake.

If you run into such problems then open bugreports. Many of the
FindXXX.cmake modules have been contributed and most people out there don't
have a cluster of different types of machines with different installations
of the software at hand. Its quite easy to overlook something and "get it
wrong", so if you find errors you need to report them and work with the
CMake people on fixing them - or fix them locally in your installation.

Andreas

--
Don't look now, but the man in the moon is laughing at you.