[CMake] Finder repository

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon May 26 16:36:03 EDT 2008

On Monday 26 May 2008, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> CMake needs a better integration with other systems of finding such
> definitions, IMHO. On good thing would be to make pkg-config usage
> absolutely transparent,

First comment: pkg-config sucks (it prints unstructured, toolchain dependent
information on stdout)

Second comment: pkg-config is not widespread outside of Linux (and maybe *BSD,
don't know), so find modules should works also without pkgconfig

Third comment: I think much better than the somewhat complicated
FindPkgConfig.cmake would be a real cmake command which parses the pkgconfig
files directly. This would be faster and it would be easier to get the
information.

> maybe even .la from libtool.

Hmm, no, they should die.

> That would make many find modules obsolete.

Let's say, it would make them simpler, some simple wrapping would still be
needed.

Alex