[CMake] Finder repository

Matthew McCormick matthew.m.mccormick at gmail.com
Mon May 26 09:07:09 EDT 2008

> >> The problem with a restricted-access repository is we would
> >> probably have the same issues we have now: you need to ask for
> >> access, which would not be granted to you until you are
> >> "well-known" and/or you've got some really interesting
> >> contribution. Not a big improvement, IMHO.
> >>

> > You don't know how git works, don't you? You can send a patch or let
> > the maintainer pull from YOUR repository. It's much easier than svn or
> > cvs.ep
>
> I know how git works (and mercurial, too, by the way) but I don't see
> people setting up their own git repositories just for other people to
> pull two FindWhaterEver.cmake.
>
> * Search: while searching for a FindXXXX.cmake, you would visit a lot
> of repositories one by one
>
> * Quality: as you don't know how many people downloaded that
> particular finder, you've got no way to know if that particular
> FindXXXX.cmake is good or bad because you would not know how many
> people downloaded it.

Another option is to use Gitorious.  http://gitorious.org/

You do not have to put the effort in making your own repository-- just sign
up for
an account.  We can put all the modules in one place, but the 'lead'
repository
will stay with the person giving the most time and effort. The 'lead'
repository
can easily change
at any time.

It takes away the burden and faults of reviewing modules.  Sometimes a
central
source doesn't make good review decisions, but more often they just don't
have
the time.  Code will get validated if it get used and pulled in.  If it is
not all that good, it is trivial to make improvements and immediately share
those improvements with the world.