[CMake] wxWidgets on Win32 (MSW)

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at ieee.org
Sun May 25 04:21:03 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Bill Hoffman wrote:
>> Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>>
>>> Hum... I tried again today and I cannot reproduce it. So to properly
>>> find wxWidgets on my machine I need to get rid of all entries in the
>>>  PATH_SUFFIXES section.
>>>
>>> I would love to get rid it of that nasty bug before the next release
>>> of cmake, so could the maintainer of wxWidgets stand up and tell me
>>> what he/she was trying to do with:

Hello, I'm the maintainer of FindwxWidgets... I try to monitor the
CMake list frequently, but lately I've been very busy in other things,
so please cc me directly when intereseted in my feedback.

>> This is not a problem for the wxWidgets maintainer.  It is a bug in CMake.
>>  I will try to track it down.  PATH_SUFFIXES should not break things.
>
> Sorry, spoke too soon.  There is a bug, but also the  C:/ D:/ stuff is
> pretty bogus.

Bill, What do you mean by bogus? I guess the D:/ might seem pretty
bogus, but why C:/ too?

The D:/ stuff is there for legacy reasons... I just picked it up from
the FindwxWindows.cmake file. Since they were looking in D:/ by
default, I decided to search there as well for backward compatibility
of some sort.

The C:/ is there for legacy reasons as well, but also because IIRC the
default installation directory for wxWidgets is: C:/wxWidgets-X.X.X.
If this is the case, then I believe that there is more than legacy to
this issue.

Mathieu, have you tried adding quotes around the C:/ and D:/? Like
"C:/"... In any case, the way find_path works is that it should search
for "include/wx/wx.h" in each specified path and in each specified
path + each specified suffix. Therefore, it should search for:

C:/include/wx/wx.h  -> without success
C:/wxWidgets-2.8.7/include/wx/wx.h -> with success

In some cases, there is redundancy in the sense that it is also
searching according to the registry key. That is in
C:/wxWidgets-2.8.7, but not everyone uses the installer. Many people
like me just unzip the file into place. So the extra search (i.e., C:/
) is still necessary.

Hope this helps and comments are certainly welcome.

--Miguel