[CMake] CTest & VS 2003 question...

Michael Andronov michael_andronov at sd-kyber.com
Sat May 24 22:18:46 EDT 2008

Bill -

I looked through the `Mastering Cmake` bible, and Web page.... Still a bit
confused about that VS 2003 case:

1. When I run my executables  test1, test2, test3... from within VS 2003 IDE
- they manage to find foo.dll. Even though it is not within  "Visual Studio
PATH" but only within my 'regular' path;

2. 'RUN_TESTS' target, however, fails to find the .dll, since it is not
within the 'VS PATH'.  But if while `building' RUN_TESTS I'm involving
CTest anyway, why it inherits the path from VS, not from 'regular' process
on the system?
Is there any way to do - at least one - of the following -

   a. Disable appearance of  'RUN_TESTS' within Visual Studio? But to keep
CTestsTestfile.cmake generated. In other words, to not have 'RUN_TESTS' in
Visual Studio IDE, but be able to run ctest from the command shell?

    b. To provide explicitly  information about foo.dll location to CTest  -
set some CTEST_xyz variable, etc - in order CTest will be able to find the
dll while running from 'RUN_TESTS', even though the VS does not have the
route to foo.dll in its 'own' PATH?

I really like this simple but powerful testing capability and I do not want
to disable it on VS 2003 installations...
Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Michael.