[CMake] CTest & VS 2003 question...

Michael Andronov michael_andronov at sd-kyber.com
Sat May 24 12:03:21 EDT 2008

Hi,
I have `un explained` behavior of CTest and VS 2003...
Let me formulate the problem  briefly:

1. I have a project, consisting of  foo.dll  and  4 executables, using it;
2. the structure of the project is:
    root/
          kernel/bin/Release/foo.dll
          test1/bin....
          test2/bin...
          test3/bin...
          test4/bin...
3. each directory ( root, kernel, test1, test2, test3, and test4) has
CMakeLists.txt
   CMakeLists.txt within root, has ENABLE_TESTING() statement;
   Each of kernel, test1, test2, test3, and test4 represents different
projects within the solution.
   CMakeLists.txt within test1...test4 directories, has ADD_TEST()
statement, pointing to test1.exe, test2.exe, etc.

4. cmake run with no problem indication;

5. When VS 2003 is opened,  the projects are built with no problem
indication.

So far everything behaved as expected. Now, the `unexplained' started:

 u.1.   Attempt to build RUN_TESTS project within VS 2003 finishes with
message:
         ''  foo.dll not found. ''.  At the same time:
          a. the foo.dll is definitely present within specified directory.
          b. execution of test1, test2, test3, or test4 from the same
environment is running fine.
          c. root/kernel/bin/Release is within CTEST_ENVIRONMENT variable;

 u.2   At the same time, running ctest within Windows command line window,
within
         root/  subdirectory, running fine, executing all 4 simple tests,
with no indication of
         missing foo.dll

 u3.   Generating the VS 2005 solution/projects from the same scripts, ends
up with expected
          behavior. Attempt to build RUN_TESTS project, ends up in execution
of 4 tests, with no
          indication of missing foo.dll

I hope that I just missed some small detail within invoking CTEST suite...
Any help and advice
will be appreciated.

Have a great day,
Michael

P.S>  The above has been done with cmake-2.6.0. exe,  different Windows XP
installations.