[CMake] What is the proper way to handle additional non-object files generated by compilation?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed May 21 21:25:42 EDT 2008

I am finally working again on the CMake language support for Ada (currently
implemented just for the gcc gnatmake compiler).  One of the issues is the
gnatmake compiler not only produces *.o object files but also *.ali (Ada
library information) files, and I haven't figured out how to get the *.ali
files automatically removed by "make clean" using my Ada language support
files.

Currently, I am using

SET_DIRECTORY_PROPERTIES(PROPERTIES ADDITIONAL_MAKE_CLEAN_FILES ...)

to get "make clean" to work for the generated *.ali files, but I am
concerned this is just a workaround for some limitation in my current Ada
language support files.

A similar situation appears for Fortran 90 compilers which generate both
"module" files and standard object files.  I have just proved to my
satisfaction that "make clean" works for those generated module files (at
least for cmake-2.6.0 and gfortran module files with the extension .mod that
are generated by the PLplot build).

If that correct "make clean" result for Fortran module files is set up in
the CMake Fortran language support files, please point me to the area, and I
can probably do the rest for the Ada case.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).