[CMake] Disable pretty output

Jesper Eskilson jesper at eskilson.se
Wed May 21 03:41:22 EDT 2008

Bill Hoffman wrote:

> OK, thanks.  I am not sure how -j N will be fixed by this, but the other
> stuff sounds good.   I think we are sort of stuck with the jumbled
> output with parallel make.  Unless you got really complicated with some
> sort of client server setup.

I'm not sure how things work today, but typically when you have rules
like this

foo.o: foo.c
	@echo Compiling foo
         $(CC)

they aren't jumbled (even if the output won't necessarily come directly
together with any subsequent errors or warnings). I guess its because
echo flushes the entire line at once. If the progress percentage and the
actual message is printed in separate invocations, that would increase
the risk of jumbling.

Usually the problem with parallell make is that compiler error messages
are mixed up. OMake actually solves that by buffering all compiler
output until the compiler exits, but that may be overkill in this case,
I think.

Anyway, having an external program will allow the a large degree of
freedom without complicating things too much.

--
/Jesper