[CMake] Executable extension (MSVC)

PCJohn peciva at fit.vutbr.cz
Wed May 14 09:20:04 EDT 2008

Dear cmakers,

I really need to set executable extension to .com instead to standard
.exe (using MSVC). Is it possible to do that, or do I need to not use
cmake for win32 platform?

Reasons:
I planned to port InventorTools utilities
(http://merlin.fit.vutbr.cz/wiki/index.php/Open_Inventor_Tools) to
cmake, I am using "dual gui/console" behaviour (like the one described
at http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/W-D/console/redirection/article.php/c3955).
In short: two executable exists - utility.com and utility.exe.
If I type utility or utility.com in windows console, I can work with the
application as with ordinary console application.
When I run utility.exe (started from Explorer or by shortcut, or Windows
gui), I get normal Windows application - no annoying console, just gui.
This can not be realized in single executable. utility.com always opens
console, even when started from gui, and utility.exe never communicate
through console - as given by nature of Windows :( . Just both of them
can do the thing.
Everything worked perfectly in MSVC, however I am unable to reconstruct
the scenario in cmake due to difficulties with com extension.

Thanks,
John