[CMake] [Paraview] paraview CVS xcodebuild

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu May 8 11:49:27 EDT 2008

Mike Jackson wrote:

>> Runs out of memory and dies.  I sent stuff to apple a while ago and
>> they sort of said it was too big.  No one would create something like
>> this by hand because it is too much work.   Sad part is visual studio
>> handles projects this size with no problem at all.
>>
>> -Bill
>>

> Did Apple offer any other advice on how to reduce the memory footprint?
> If it is just the fact of a project file being too large then almost all
> hope is shot.. but there are a few things to look at.
>
> 1: Create an Xcode project that uses makefiles instead of its own build
> system internals but listing all the files may be the problem here.

I think it maybe just listing the files.

> 2: Create the Xcode project that contains project references to
> subprojects (in the case of paraview, each subdirectory would have its
> own project file, like vtk, etc). This may make each project file
> smaller and therefor loadable by Xcode. This does mean that using Xcode
> now requires lots of windows to be open but that may be the price that
> is paid for Apples inability to create a project file that scales well.

This is one option.  However, last time I looked at it, there was no way
to make sure dependent things are built in the correct order using this
model.

> Now knowing where the problem lies I am just guessing at this point on
> how to reduce the memory footprint so the Xcode project scales better..
> or the CMake team has just found the limit for Xcode and that is how the
> world works in "Apple Land".

I sort of gave up when I first did the Xcode stuff after a few emails to
Apple.  I really don't have the time/funding to look into this further.
  However, if someone else wants to create a bug report for Apple, that
would be great.

-Bill