[CMake] add_custom_command, VERBATIM and cmake-2.6

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sun May 4 22:09:21 EDT 2008

Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Hendrik Sattler schrieb:
>
> I must correct myself. It works with:
>  - Windows, NMake Makefiles, Cmake-2.6 RC-9
>  - Linux, Unix Makefiles, CMake-CVS (RC-5 does not work)
>
> It does not work with:
>  - Cygwin, Unix Makefiles, Cmake-2.6 RC-10

I just tried 2.6.0rc10 on Cygwin with Unix Makefiles and redirection is not
escaped.  Are you sure it's not rc9 or earlier?

Here is the history.  It was broken on May 17, 2007 in CVS:

http://www.cmake.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Source/kwsys/System.c?root=CMake&r1=1.7&r2=1.8

The change was made to allow custom commands containing expressions, like

   COMMAND python -c "if 2 > 1: print 'yes'"

to work.  However, no special case was added to allow redirection
characters.  The problem was reported recently for an earlier 2.6 release
candidate:

   http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=6868

and fixed on April 29, 2008:

http://www.cmake.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Source/cmLocalGenerator.cxx?root=CMake&r1=1.272&r2=1.273