[CMake] Creating multiple (deb) packages from one source tree using CPack

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 14:09:28 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Doug Gregor <doug.gregor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Timenkov Yuri <ytimenkov at parallels.com> wrote:
>> Also, you can look at the bugs: http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=6835
>> and http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=6847
>> The latter one implements similar request for NSIS installer.
>
> Support for component-based installations is available in CMake CVS
> for NSIS (Windows) and PackageMaker (Mac OS X). Mathieu has started
> work on support for multiple .debs using the same input mechanism.

Before it becomes vaproware, I should maybe give an update.
The initial implementation of deb packaging (currently in CMake) is
pretty much just a hack. It will only work for a limited set of
package type and still require huge amount of manual tweaking(*).
While trying a second pass at properly generating deb package using
the new component based stuff, I decided to rework the framework to
actually reuse the dpkg-* tools available on debian (which will mean
deb package can only be generated on a debian machine):

  http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-devel@lists.debian.org/msg261655.html

Again my work was done from opposite direction. I was trying to make
cmake generate input file for the debhelper, while the correct
solution is have debhelper talked to cmake to retrieve information
(such as components).

What it really means :simply that currently I have pretty much nothing
implemented :(

If you think you know how to implement the correct solution (as
proposed in the link), feel free to give it a try. I cannot garantee
any timeline when I'll find time to do it right.

Regards,
--
Mathieu
(*)  Yes the package are valid .deb file, but there will no way