[CMake] Changes to NMake Makefiles generator in 2.6?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Jun 17 15:48:09 EDT 2008

Ted Berg wrote:
> Bill Hoffman wrote:
>> What makes you think this is the problem?  Does the output get
>> truncated in some way?
>
> I tried copying the link.exe command line and pasting it into a command
> window while in the appropriate directory.  The text pasted in was
> truncated.  I guess it's possible that different rules apply in this
> case, I really don't know.
>
>> No, there is no way to go back to the old way.
>>
>> The change was to be able to use incremental linking from nmake which
>> is not possible in cmake 2.4.
>
> Good to know, again thanks.
>
> Requested files were sent directly.
>
> Ted

I took a quick look, and it maybe the command line length.  The link.exe
line is 35906 chars long.   CMake is not going through the shell but
using the CreateProcess function.  There maybe some limit on that.   I
will continue to try and figure this out.  It maybe that the extra
/MANIFESTFILE:QtVivoxSDK.dll.intermediate.manifest
QtVivoxSDK.dll.embed.manifest.res  added to your link line for handling
of incremental linking and manifests was the straw that broke the camels
back.  That extra stuff was not added in 2.4.

In the mean time, I would recommend that you use add_library to create a
static library that the executable links against.  That should fix the
problem and work for 2.4 and 2.6.

-Bill