[CMake] FindwxWidgets update (for MinGW)

Werner Smekal smekal at iap.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jun 17 14:39:09 EDT 2008

Hi Miguel

> If the wxWidgets instructions for MSYS recommend the configure/make
> process, then I'll just keep it simple and let MSYS build use the unix
> style search with the following change:
>
> IF(WIN32 AND NOT CYGWIN AND NOT MSYS)
>   SET(wxWidgets_FIND_STYLE "win32")
> ELSE(WIN32 AND NOT CYGWIN AND NOT MSYS)
>   IF(UNIX OR MSYS)
>     SET(wxWidgets_FIND_STYLE "unix")
>   ENDIF(UNIX OR MSYS)
> ENDIF(WIN32 AND NOT CYGWIN AND NOT MSYS)

This should be correct.

> However, as I understand it, you should not be installing too much
> into the msys system (certainly not something like wxWidgets) since it
> is meant to be a Minimal SYStem to aid the developers in using the
> bash shell, autotools, and a few other POSIX tools.

Since I wanted to make sure, here are some parts of the install.txt file
of wxWidgets:

"NOTE: The makefile.gcc makefiles are for compilation under MinGW using
  Windows command interpreter (command.com/cmd.exe), they won't work in
  other environments (such as UNIX or Unix-like, e.g. MSYS where you have
  to use configure instead, see the section below)"

"6. The 'make install' step is optional, and copies files
    as follows:

    /usr/local/lib - wxmswXYZd.dll.a and wxmswXYZd.dll
    /usr/local/include/wx - wxWidgets header files
    /usr/local/bin - wx-config

    You may need to do this if using wx-config with the
    default root path."

I wouldn't use MSYS to compile wxWidgets anyway, since it's very slow
compared to the CLI/MinGW combination. I don't think that many
developers use that, but according to the installation instructions MSYS
users must use configure and therefore we need the unix style find for
this case.

Thanks for the bug fix!

Werner

--