[CMake] cmake cvs breaks kde4 builds

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Sun Jan 27 20:40:05 EST 2008

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Also I noticed that the linker line doesn't contain an option that gives
> gcc the kde4 library dir to search for kde libs. This is another thing
> which broke things for me here, i.e. ld complains that -lsolid cannot be
> found (as you can see below there's a solid entry in the kio-line).

That means there is a bug in the kde4 build system.  It is using -lsolid
to link a library but did not specify a link_directories call to add the
appropriate library directory.  It worked before as a side-effect of
CMake's previous linking implementation which added -L for everything
(and another library that was specified with a full path appears in the
directory containing the solid library).

The linking implementation is going through an overhaul so there have
been more changes since your original post.  Please update to the latest
CVS CMake and try again.

There is a compatibility feature to work around projects with this bug.
  It is enabled if you set CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY to 2.4 or
lower.  You can also explicitly enable the work-around by running this
in your build tree:

   cmake -DCMAKE_LINK_OLD_PATHS:BOOL=ON .

Please let me know if this works.  The current linking implementation is
very new and I want to make sure all these compatibility issues are
worked out.

Thanks,
-Brad