[CMake] FindBoost.cmake: please test

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Jan 20 12:27:09 EST 2008

On 20.01.08 10:51:15, Mike Jackson wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2008, at 7:15 AM, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
>
>> -s simply means static according to the above pages. Is static linking to
>> boost not supported by the module?
>
> Everyone should review the following page:
>
> http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started/windows.html#library-naming
>
> -s means you are statically linking to the C++ runtime provided by
> Microsoft, and is true for all the other platforms as well. Which means you
> can have a boost dynamic library that statically links to the C++ runtime..

Aah, ok. Then this can go out of the win32-part.

> In the original FindBoost.cmake that I wrote, I had cmake variables that
> could be set for each of the boost compile variations.

Uh, that only worked when you modify the FindBoost.cmake, which is
probably fine for your own project but not acceptable for a module that
should go into cmake cvs.

> Since people can build boost (or download it) in any of a multitude of
> configurations then my suggestion would be to find the most popular
> downloads for each platform and support those configurations out of
> the box. For those like myself who build boost we know enough how to
> set the cmake variables to find our boost libs.

The problem is supporting all these various configuration combinations
in a "nice" way - i.e. without having the user need to know what boost
uses for "static-link-to-c++-runtime" and without writing tons of CMake
code.

I'll try to look into that tomorrow. Thanks for the link and the hints.

Andreas

--
Don't you feel more like you do now than you did when you came in?