[CMake] Find*.cmake variable naming

Andreas Schneider mail at cynapses.org
Thu Jan 17 17:41:54 EST 2008

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 14.01.08 23:40:39, Andreas Schneider wrote:
>> Rodolfo Schulz de Lima wrote:
>>> Hi, I'd like to comment on the Find*.cmake variable naming procedure
>>> adopted by cmake. Right now I have to look at some Find*.cmake files to
>>> see what are the output variables they create. Some packages create a
>>> *_LIBRARY, others *_LIBRARIES, others *_INCLUDE_DIRS and others
>>> *_INCLUDE_DIR. The Modules/readme.txt procedure isn't being used for
>>> some packages.
>>>
>>> Also the vast majority creates upcased (is this an adjective?) variable
>>> names, BUT Boost and wxWidgets. There two define Boost_FOUND,
>>> Boost_LIBRARIES, wxWidgets_FOUND, wxWidgets_LIBRARIES. It should be
>>> better if they were BOOST_FOUND, WXWIDGETS_FOUND etc.
>> For much better FindBoost.cmake module take a look at
>
> I've just reported a bug for CMake with an updated/combined version of
> that FindBoost and the one from Mike Jackson.

Hi Andreas,

I've looked at your module. The variable names should be all uppercase.

I don't think it is a good idea that you *have to define the boost version*.
There should be the possibility to define the version but the module should
find it, this is what the module is for. If you write Modules always think
about user and packagers.

Your version doesn't find any library on openSUSE

/usr/lib64/libboost_date_time.a
/usr/lib64/libboost_date_time.so -> libboost_date_time.so.1.33.1
/usr/lib64/libboost_date_time.so.1.33.1
/usr/lib64/libboost_filesystem.a
/usr/lib64/libboost_filesystem.so -> libboost_filesystem.so.1.33.1
/usr/lib64/libboost_filesystem.so.1.33.1
/usr/lib64/libboost_thread-mt.a
/usr/lib64/libboost_thread-mt.so -> libboost_thread-mt.so.1.33.1
/usr/lib64/libboost_thread-mt.so.1.33.1 -> libboost_thread-mt.so

The search paths for macports and fink are missing.

> http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=6257

This needs to be fixed and needs more testing on different systems before it
can be included.

> Andreas

	-- andreas

--